Tips for Preparing to Move or for De-cluttering
- Start now, the earlier the better….but just a little at a time.
- Initially spend only 15-30 minutes each day. You will be surprised by the amount of emotional and physical work that is involved. It is tiring and emotionally draining.
- Work in one room at a time. Do not miss a drawer, closet or storage area in this space. As you work, if you come across something that needs to be in another room, place it outside the door, but do not take it to that room at that time. Concentrate on ONE ROOM ONLY. If you can get to the larger items remove them first as you will begin to immediately feel you are making progress.
- Prepare well for the work area with a good place to sit and good lighting. Bring in a card table or other sturdy work surface.
- Purchase a box of heavy duty trash bags (we recommend Husky’s 3 ml. thick contractor bags). Also have some newspapers or packing paper for the fragile items not being kept.
- To be considered: donate, auction, keep for new home, trash.
- As you work, clean as you go. Vacuum drawers, closets, etc. and wipe down shelves.
- If applicable, start a punch list as you see things that need to be done to put the house on the market (painting, etc.)
- Depending on the volume of stuff, call your trash company to find out what they will take and check on the next hazardous waste disposal date. It may be more efficient to arrange for a dumpster on site.
- Bring in help. The task is overwhelming, but not as much if done in small doses.
Keep in mind that the entire process is one that Survival Essentials can offer assistance. Do not hesitate to call for a free consultation.
Get started today! Call Jill for a free consultation at 610-306-3555.
Serving: Southeastern Pennsylvania & neighboring communities in New Jersey, Delaware & Maryland.